The term may sound like a joke, but it is in fact one of the newer compensable syndromes that worker’s compensation now includes. (Refer to “A Field Guide to Workers’ Compensation” by Janet R. Douglas, page 5). The term was created by the American Physical Therapy Association.
“Blackberry Thumb” is becoming more and more a problem by workers who use texting in their business. Do you Tweet on a PDA as part of your job?
Why is this a problem? Everyone does SMS. Surely, if this were not healthy someone would restrict or oversee devices on the open market used for SMS. Yes? Of course NOT!
The thumb is designed to grasp objects with the index finger or index and additional fingers. It was not designed to be used repetitively to type messages on a small keyboard. It was not an issue from typing on a 10 finger keyboard (as I am using now) but on our smaller cellular phones or PDA’s, your thumbs are doing ALL the work.
According to Douglas, other newer RSD’s include:
- Trigger Finger
- Neck Strains from carrying laptops or poor posture when using the computer (I am definitely in tune with this one!!!)
- Eye strain from computer use. (Not quite there on this one…)
- Hearing loss from ear-buds and handsets that are too loud. Turn down the volume.
I am only through the first few pages of Chapter 1 and am finding amazing information I intend to share on this blog. This book is not just for HR people. As a “worker” I find the information invaluable since it helps me understand what I may one day need to know.
- Repetitive Motion: Trigger Finger on the Rise (bodyquirks.wordpress.com)
- “Blackberry Thumb” – A Repetitive Stress Disorder (thecommunicatorwv.wordpress.com)
- ‘BlackBerry Thumb’ – The Latest Malady (bluebell25.wordpress.com)
- ‘Blackberry thumb’ is the latest health hazard (news.bioscholar.com)
- ‘Blackberry thumb’ is new health hazard (telegraph.co.uk)
- Cell Phone Elbow – Seriously? (fitsugar.com)
- Why do I experience joint pain in my thumb? (zocdoc.com)
- Blackberry Thumb: Are You at Risk? (bizcovering.com)
- Legal Issues That Can Cause Problems With Your Workers’ Compensation Claim (injuredworkerslawfirm.wordpress.com)
- Exercises to Strengthen the Hands and Fingers (brighthub.com)
- O2 Guru masterclass: how to squeeze more from your BlackBerry (o2.co.uk)
- My Thumbs Are Too Big, I Guess (whatthefluffy.wordpress.com)