The Department of Defense today identified six units to deploy as part of the upcoming rotation of forces operating in Afghanistan.
The scheduled rotation involves elements of two infantry brigade combat teams (IBCT) – one with roughly 1,830 personnel (4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division) and one with roughly 3,000 personnel (2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division); elements of one armored brigade combat team (ABCT) with roughly 1,160 personnel (3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division); elements of one combat aviation brigade with roughly 1,800 personnel (159th Combat Aviation Brigade, 101st Airborne Division); a division headquarters element with roughly 630 personnel (10th Mountain Division Headquarters) and a corps headquarters element with roughly 560 personnel (XVIII Airborne Corps Headquarters) to rotate in winter 2013-2014 in support of the combatant commander’s mission requirements. The deploying units include:
Brigade Combat Teams/Combat Aviation Brigades:
2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, Ky.
4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo.
3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, Fort Bliss, Texas.
159th Combat Aviation Brigade, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, Ky.
10th Mountain Division Headquarters, Fort Drum, N.Y.
XVIII Airborne Corps Headquarters, Fort Bragg, N.C.
DoD will continue to announce major deployments as they are approved. For information on the respective deployments, contact the following: 2nd IBCT and 159th CAB, 101st Abn. Div., contact the 101st Abn. Div. public affairs office at 270-798-9965 or 270-798-9961; 4th IBCT, 4th Inf. Div. contact the 4th Inf. Div. public affairs office at 719-526-7525 or 719-526-4143; 3rd ABCT, 1st Armd. Div., contact the 1st Armd. Div. public affairs office at 915-744-8406; 10th Mtn. Div. Hq., contact the 10th Mtn. Div. public affairs office at 315-772-7634; XVIII Abn. Corps Hq., contact the XVIII Abn. Corps public affairs office at 910-907-5290.
- DOD Identifies Units for Upcoming Afghanistan Rotation (goodsoldiersorg.wordpress.com)
- Fort Carson combat team headed to Afghanistan (krdo.com)
- Infantry chaplains (dvidshub.net)
- US military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,126, according to AP (stripes.com)
- White Currahee provides tactical training for AUP (dvidshub.net)
- Fort Campbell’s 4th Brigade Combat Team encourages Cooperation, One village at a time (clarksvilleonline.com)
- US military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,126 (miamiherald.com)
- Fort Campbell’s 3rd Brigade Combat Team Scouts conduct field training, exercise reconnaissance skills (clarksvilleonline.com)
- Memorial Service Held to Honor Fallen Soldier (wctv.tv)
- Rakkasans leadership changes out (dvidshub.net)