When I went to Catholic University in the late 1970′s (79-82) one of my favorite courses was Sociology. It was one of my general studies courses and one of the only classes I got an A. I probably only got a handful of A’s during my time at CUA. I do remember one other course I took which was Women’s Studies. Beleive it or not (of course you will) I took the course to meet girls. Most guys would unless they learned before hand that girls who took that class were the more independent minded (marry me, first) girls at CUA. What was so important about both classes was that they taught me how to be socially aware of my surroundings. In hindsight I find it quite amazing that it was at the Pope’s school.
Towards the end of the class students started talking about what they dont like about Shepherd University AND Shepherdstown, from a social or anthropological view. Some thoughts that I came away with I want to share.
1. “Shepherdstown is a very open welcoming town.” – A Married 40 year old male Student who lives in Shepherdstown (Hispanic Jew he says)
2. “No matter how I dress, when I walk down German Street people look at me funny, either because they think I act better than they are (I dress better), or people frown at me like I am below them.” – A Shepherd On-Campus student
3. “There are no blacks in any of my classes, or Asians. In fact, I work at the USDA nearby and there are no blacks working there either.” – Out of state commuting student, 25.
I made an overarching observation tonight that there is an absolute disconnect between the University and the Town. My immediate reaction is that this needs to change and any assimilation attempts would benefit both cultures.
Edit this entry.
In Uncategorized on September 12, 2010 at 12:11 am
- Back in Shepherdstown with my New Old Subaru Outback… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- American Conservation Film Festival Starts Today (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Is it the end of the Town Hall Oak? (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- We Are One Demonstration Tonite In Shepherdstown… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Should Personal Toys be allowed in Public Schools? (thecommunicatorwv.wordpress.com)
- Looking for Webelos (myshepherdstown.wordpress.com)
- Shepherdstown Community Garden Update… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- And yet another 2-hour delay! (myshepherdstown.wordpress.com)
- Should Personal Toys be allowed in Public Schools? (myshepherdstown.wordpress.com)
- Back at It (garrettperrella.wordpress.com)
- Elly and I Hosted A Community Garden Meeting Today (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Got up early this morning and joined John Case on WSHC… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- What we can do to preserve Liberal/Progressive standards and information in the growing Right-Wing Oligarchy… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)