The East Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission was awarded an $837,315 grant to assist the region’s response to the loss of 1,200 positions at the Oshkosh Corporation‘s Defense Division. These federal funds are part of a larger $937,316 project to: align local economic development plans and update them with diversification strategies; promote the growth of new and existing businesses in targeted industries through workforce and supply chain initiatives; map the regional defense industry supply chain; and, provide technical assistance to Oshkosh suppliers and affected workers.
Workforce Solutions Northeast Texas was awarded a $456,722 grant to respond to the reduction of 1,225 civilian employees at the Red River Army Depot. These federal funds are part of a larger $517,469 project to study reemployment opportunities for the displaced workforce, identify the region’s comparative advantages, and develop opportunities to diversify local economic activity.
These grants are awarded under OEA’s Defense Industry Adjustment Program to assist states and communities that have been significantly impacted by reductions or cancellations in DoD spending. States and communities can request OEA assistance to: organize representatives to respond on behalf of affected communities, workers, and businesses; plan local community and economic adjustment activities to lessen local economic impacts; and, carry-out plans to replace lost economic activity. OEA project managers work with impacted areas to coordinate a broader program of assistance from across the federal government when necessary. Strategic regional initiatives will leverage cutting edge skills and technology to attract new investments, helping to preserve industrial base capacity even as DoD spending declines. Proposals are considered for funding on a rolling basis, subject to the availability of appropriations.
Further information about this program may be found on OEA’s web site at www.oea.gov
- Oshkosh hopes grant softens blow of layoffs (lacrossetribune.com)
- Oshkosh hopes grant softens blow of layoffs (kansascity.com)
- Oshkosh wins contract to supply firefighting vehicles to Marine Corps (stripes.com)
- Need to transition from defense jobs in Oshkosh (jsonline.com)
- Oshkosh Hopes Grant Softens Blow of Layoffs (wsaw.com)
- Oshkosh hopes grant softens blow of layoffs (nbc15.com)
- Oshkosh wins contract to supply firefighting vehicles to Marine Corps (jsonline.com)
- Diversify the Depot (ktbs.com)
- Oshkosh Corporation to lay off 900 workers (fox6now.com)
- FVTC responds to IT workforce needs (wistechcolleges.wordpress.com)