On average, BAH rates for members with dependents will increase approximately $79 per month and $76 for members without dependents. A typical mid-grade enlisted member with dependents, for example, will find his/her BAH about $79 per month higher than last year, while a typical junior officer without dependents will find his/her BAH about $76 higher than last year.
In areas where rates will decrease, the decrease will only apply to members newly reporting to those locations. Members are protected by individual rate protection which ensures that those already assigned to a given location will not see their BAH rate decrease, however, they will receive the increase if the rate goes up. This assures that members who have made long-term commitments in the form of a lease or contract are not penalized if the area’s housing costs decrease.
Three components are included in the BAH computation: median current market rent; average utilities (including electricity, heat, and water/sewer) and average renter’s insurance.
Total housing costs are calculated for six housing profiles (based on dwelling type and number of bedrooms) in each military housing area. BAH rates are then calculated for each pay grade, both with and without dependents. An estimated $20 billion will be paid to approximately one million service members in 2014.
For more information on BAH, visit https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bah.cfm.
- “Bah! Humbug!”: A Dickens-less Christmas from the Scrooges of the Common Core (freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com)
- BAH Rates proposed to increase 4.2% in 2014 (deanawatson.wordpress.com)
- New Trend With Insurance Carriers (columbusgaandbeyond.com)
- To Bah Humbug OR Not to Bah Humbug (catharinasheely.com)
- Cuomo Pushes for Renter Tax Break (theepochtimes.com)
- Bah Kut Teh (maggiesfoodjournal.wordpress.com)
- Reading, Planning & Writing: Bah-Humbug Friday (githyankidiaspora.wordpress.com)
- Fitch Affirms Boston Water and Sewer Commission, MA’s General Revs at ‘AA+’; Outlook Stable (hispanicbusiness.com)
- Bah Humpug 2014 Calendar (bahhumpug.com)
- Cuomo Calls For Tax Break For New York State Renters (newyork.cbslocal.com)