It’s November 11, 1967.
LZ (landing zone) X-ray.
You’re lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you’re not getting out.
Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you’ll never see them again.
As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.
Then – over the machine gun noise – you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.
You look up to see a Huey coming in. But.. It doesn’t seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.
Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.
He’s not MedEvac so it’s not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he’s flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.
Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He’s coming anyway.
And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.
Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.
And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!
Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.
He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.
May God Bless and Rest His Soul.
(from an email sent by a relative)
- May his memory truly be eternal/Major Ed “Too Tall” Freeman (gloucestercitynews.typepad.com)
- Medal Of Honor Recipient Major Ed Freeman One Of My Many Hero’s (k99.com)
- Idaho ceremony recognizes Medal of Honor recipient (ktvb.com)
- Spokane veteran’s dinner honors local Medal of Honor recipient (krem.com)
- New Medal of Honor plaque now in Nebraska Capitol (columbustelegram.com)
- JEMAIL: Dans, Peter E. (MC1957) cites MoH winner Ed Freeman (jasperjottings-daily.com)
- Medal of Honor recipients honored with stamp (usatoday.com)
- VIDEO: Medal of Honor recipient from Seattle (q13fox.com)
- Heroic efforts of Fort Carson MedEvac company save lives in Colorado floods (fellowshipoftheminds.com)
- Candidate Q & A: SJI Hospital District Commission | Election 2013 (sanjuanjournal.com)