The Department of Defense announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal 2013, through May.
Recruiting. All four active services met or exceeded their numerical accession goals for fiscal 2013, through May.
• Army — 45,947 accessions, with a goal of 45,435; 101 percent
• Navy — 24,344 accessions, with a goal of 24,344; 100 percent
• Marine Corps — 17,214 accessions, with a goal of 17,174; 100 percent
• Air Force — 18,695 accessions, with a goal of 18,695; 100 percent
Retention. The Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps exhibited strong retention numbers for the eighth month of fiscal 2013. The Navy exhibited strong retention numbers in the mid-career and career categories; however, the Navy’s achievement of 90 percent in the initial category relates to reduced accessions from four to six years ago.
Recruiting. Five of the six reserve components met or exceeded their fiscal-year-to-date 2013 numerical accession goals. While the Army Reserve met its May 2013 goals, it remains 1,662 accessions short of its fiscal goal.
• Army National Guard — 34,034 accessions, with a goal of 33,266; 102 percent
• Army Reserve — 17,815 accessions, with a goal of 19,477; 91 percent
• Navy Reserve — 3,594 accessions, with a goal of 3,594; 100 percent
• Marine Corps Reserve — 5,804 accessions, with a goal of 5,766; 101 percent
• Air National Guard — 6,732 accessions, with a goal of 6,732; 100 percent
• Air Force Reserve — 4,856 accessions, with a goal of 4,439; 109 percent
Attrition— All reserve components have met their attrition goals. Current trends are expected to continue. (This indicator lags due to data availability.)
Detailed information on specific recruiting data can be obtained by contacting the individual military recruiting commands at 502-626-0164 for Army, 210-565-4678 for Air Force, 703-784-9454 for Marine Corps, and 901-874-9048 for Navy. The Reserve Components can be reached at the following numbers: National Guard Bureau 703-607-2586, Army Reserve 910-570-8330, Air Force Reserve 703-697-1761, Navy Reserve 757-322-5652, and Marine Corps Reserve 504-678-6535.
- DOD Recruiting Remains Strong Through May (defense.gov)
- Army Reserve misses recruiting goals by 12% (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- DOD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal 2013, Through April 2013 (goodsoldiersorg.wordpress.com)
- Army Reserve falls 10% behind recruiting goals (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- Fiscal Year Recruiting Remains Strong Through April (defense.gov)
- Army Reserve misses November recruiting goals (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- TA soldiers to get pensions and benefits (scotsman.com)
- National Guard (in Federal Status) and Reserve Activated as of June 25, 2013 (goodsoldiersorg.wordpress.com)