The Department of Defense today identified three major units to deploy as part of the upcoming rotation of forces operating in Afghanistan. The scheduled rotation involves three brigade combat teams (BCT) — one Infantry brigade combat team with roughly 2,800 personnel; one armored brigade combat team with roughly 4,000 personnel and one infantry brigade combat team with roughly 2,870 personnel — to rotate in winter 2012. The deploying units include:
1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky.
DoD will continue to announce major deployments as they are approved. For information on the respective deployments, contact the following: 1st IBCT, 101st Abn. Div. (Air Assault), contact the 101st Abn. Div. (Air Assault) public affairs officer at 270-798-9962. 1st ABCT, 1st Armored Div., contact the 1st Armored Div. public affairs officer at 915-744-8406. 2nd IBCT, 10th Mtn. Div., contact the 10th Mtn. Div. public affairs officer at 315-772-7634.
- 101st Combat Aviation Brigade cases colors in preparation for Deployment to Afghanistan (clarksvilleonline.com)
- Fort Campbell’s 2nd Brigade Combat Team “Strike’s Operation: Talon Shock” (clarksvilleonline.com)
- Super Saturday Air Show celebrates 70-year legacy of Air Assault Division (dvidshub.net)
- Week of the Eagles Legacy Golf Tournament winners, Strike Brigade (clarksvilleonline.com)
- Army planning drawdown in Europe (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- Oberlin Soldier Wounded in Afghanistan Dies (fox8.com)
- K-9 teams helping the fight in Afghanistan (dvidshub.net)
- Units Alerted for Afghanistan Deployment (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- Behavioral health study aims to improve health of the force (dvidshub.net)
- DOD Announces Units for Upcoming Rotation to Afghanistan (waronterrornews.typepad.com)