Timeline: February 5th, 1994 – Visit #6
I had a scheduled trip to St. Petersburg for my then employer to work on preparations for an event we were organizing in November 1994 at the LenExpo Fairgrounds. It had been arranged that the KGB, whom I spoke with by phone in January, would meet me when I arrived at Pulkovo Airport and would take me to their offices for an interview.
Like clockwork, when the plane landed and pulled up to our spot outside the main arrival terminal, the voice over the intercom asked everyone to remain seated and asked for Steven Douglas, to collect his belongings and approach the front of the aircraft which I did. The side food entrance was opened and standing at the doorway was a plain clothed officer of the KBG I had spoken to on the phone. Down a stair case was an associate and a large black Russian Volga sedan. We drove to the passenger arrival terminal. They told me I was still required to enter customs as I would have with the other passengers but I did so ahead of the rest. Once I collected my baggage I met them out in the welcome area. Leonid was waiting for me also.
Leonid convinced them to let me go to my hotel first and unwind a bit after my long trip and that we would then meet them at their offices at 5pm that afternoon. After this was agreed to by the officers Leonid and I headed into town to my hotel where we met up with some mutual friends. After spending the day socializing with friends we headed over to Bolshoy Dom.
What eventually became a 9 hour visit to Bolshoy Dom (The Big House), started out very slowly? In fact after parking and arriving at the front door of the building we stood in a freezing cold waiting space between cracked creaking doors with an old dirty grey metal rotary-dial phone on the wall that Leonid used to call inside. We ended up waiting a good ten minutes in that drafty space before we were finally let into the lobby. In the lobby we waited at least another 15 minutes before an officer came downstairs to usher us up to the floor where I would be interviewed…..
- My First Visit to the Soviet Union (thecommunicatorwv.wordpress.com)
- Rocket to Russia: 100 rubles per jug (boingboing.net)
- A Russian Human Trafficking Victim of The Church of Scientology (thecommunicatorwv.wordpress.com)
- Banksy wages War (rt.com)
- Leonid Nosovskiy : Ukraine (kiva.org)
- The Forsythe saga comes to Bolshoi (rt.com)
- Trader Timchenko has no plans to up Novatek stake (reuters.com)
- Yuri Andropov Soviet General Secretary (socyberty.com)
- “Leonid Meteor Shower” and related posts (weeklyworldnews.com)
- Leonid Meteor Shower 2010 Peaks Tonight (blippitt.com)